Requirements to bridge
In order to bring carbon credits over the Carbon Bridge onto the Toucan Registry, you'll need to have access to a few things:
- Carbon credits in the Verra registry (Verified Carbon Units, VCUs), along with a retirement account or a partner who can retire the credits for you, specifying that they are destined for the Toucan Bridge. If you are working with a partner, you MUST coordinate with them to properly do the bridging — failure to do so may result in irreversible loss of funds! To be eligible for bridging, carbon credits must fulfill the criteria:
- The methodology applied in the project issuing the VCUs must not be included in the blocklist of methodologies
- The difference between the date of verification (commonly referred to as the "vintage") and the date of issuance of the credits must be less than 10 years
- An Ethereum account controlled by your Metamask wallet (browser extension, not mobile) with some MATIC, the native token that is required to pay for gas on the Polygon network. You cannot interact with the Toucan Protocol from a centralized exchange like Coinbase.
- Time and attention! Bridging is an irreversible action, and mistakes can lead to the permanent loss of funds / carbon credits. Take care, take your time. If you have any questions, study our docs or ask in our community-moderated Discord channel, #bridge-support.
The Toucan core team can't help with any of this, but there is a lot of community-led support in our Discord, and many resources online on setting up Metamask (back up your mnemonic!), getting MATIC and buying offsets from someone with a Verra account.
Once you've got all of these prepared, you can start the bridging process!